Saturday, February 27, 2010

winter break!

Soo much to blog about! I'm writing three blogs: winter break, recipe #4, and snow day #2! I decided combining these would not be good to read - too long - loses interest. So I'm spreading them out over a few days :)

WINTER BREAK
New York does this amazing thing - in February, we get a week off! Not really sure why, but I am not complaining! I shall include some highlights of my week:

Sarah and Heather
Sarah came in from Portland and we got to spend the weekend together! They were my Valentines and we had a splendid dinner with drinks! We had:
- flowers
- pomegranate martinis
- apple/raspberry salad
- chicken stuffed with fontina (side: green beans)
- chocolate fondue and fruits
- white wine
It was lovely! Valentine's Day is just as good with lovely ladies as it is with a man!

We also went to the Met!
This museum is straight up crazy - there is so much to see that you could go several times and always see something new. We took one of their free tours, which I really enjoy because then you find out information that you would have otherwise overlooked.

Callie!
Callie was in town to see her family so I got to see Callie!!! We had a day of fun and it was so lovely! What I love most about great friends is that you can not see them for months but when you get back together, its like nothing ever changed! (Love you, Callie!)

First we went to Yum Yum! (And it was Yummy!) Then, we went to the Museum of Natural History. We went through the galaxy several times in a maze of confusion, saw some dinos, lots of stuffed animals - etc. That museum is a bit confusing, we found, but fun and interesting all the same! Here's a picture of us, sitting in a clam!
Then we saw Princess and the Frog!
Naturally, I think of Callie whenever I think of Disney so she was the perfect person for me to see this with! It was SOOO funny! And I loved the story! I still giggle whenever I think "Go to bed! You are from Shreveport?!" hahaha Everybody should enjoy this film! Well done, Disney. Well done.

Then we met up with Callie's fam for some Ukranian dinner! I love Callie's family so much! They are so welcoming and just make you feel part of the group! I had never had Ukranian food, and I must say - pleasantly surprised! I shall return. Then we had some yummmmmy fro-yo at 16 Handles (which Callie and I thought was 16 Candles). It may have been freezing outside, but we enjoyed that fro-yo with the best of them! :)
I miss everybody so much, and it was great to see Callie!

The Family
Then my family came in town! (So many visitors, I know!) We haven't spent very much time as a whole family in the past years so it was good to have a chance to have everybody together! Some highlights:
- Walking around Central Park (a lot of walking! haha Central Park is one my favorite things about the city, so it was good to just leisurely walk through it and have some time to enjoy it)
- playing checkers and riding the carousel in Central Park (my mom was so excited, it was so cute!)
- Phantom of the Opera
- Comedy club with my brother (it was soo funny!)
- The Metropolitan Opera: La Boheme (opening night!)
La Boheme was probably my favorite New York memory so far - it was AMAZING. The sets were so impressive and the singing was soo beautiful! I absolutely loved it!

A big thanks to my family for coming out for the weekend in the big city! :)

It was kind of a weird break for me... I had a lot on my mind. But it was injected with so many good things that looking back, it was a great break! :)

3 comments:

  1. so many visitors!! i can't wait until your NEXT break!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great break! i wish we got a break in february!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had SUCH a fantastic time with you! how convenient for me that you live so close to my family! and it was like nothing had ever changed and it was so wonderful! i can't wait to see you again! maybe in florida this summer?!
    looooove you!

    ReplyDelete