Tuesday, October 26, 2010

free to be me

If I had to chose one specific thing to say about my struggles this year is that I no longer feel like myself at work. This feeling is the root of so much dissatisfaction in my life - to not feel like yourself is an injustice to the life your living. I have allowed certain people, systems, hell-bent grudges, etc. affect me in this way. The bigger problem is that work (or work-related things) involve roughly 75% of my current life... causing me to only partially feel like myself the other 25% of the time, because I'm still recovering and rethinking it all.

I am taking the advice of the beloved Eleanor Roosevelt.

"Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world."

"I think at some point we learn who we really are and then live with that decision."

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

My issues at work don't involve students or student achievement... and isn't that all that really matters? When did I stop deciding to do things for myself, in the way that is best for me? When did I start allowing other people to effect me in this way? Why did that happen?

I'm taking back me. I'm ignoring "you" and the way you make me feel. I'm doing what I need to do in order to feel like myself, and we're all going to benefit from it - myself, my kids, my friends, etc.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apples to Apples

If you go to an orchard and pick a bag of apples, you then need to eat a lot of apples.

Spiced Apples and Chicken
Modified from Eating Well: Healthy in a Hurry

Apple Pecan Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream
Modified from All Recipes
One of my absolute favorite things about my new apartment is the kitchen! Cooking is such a pleasure when you have the space.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Apple Pickin'

As part of Heather's birthday celebration we enjoyed some fall weather by going to Maskers Apple Orchard! I may have apple picking before, but not to my recollection. It was a wonderful seasonal afternoon. Maskers is one poppin orchard - apparently a very popular spot for New Yorkers seeking to get out of the city bustle and into rows and rows of apple trees. They had many more seasonal treats for the family to enjoy as well - ponies, pumpkins, cider, and of course - apple cider doughnuts!

The drive there was absolutely breathtaking. There is something fascinating about nature. In our lifetime we see its potential to destroy us, but also get to enjoy the simple things about it that make our world a substantially more enjoyable place. Such as fall leaves - especially where in one tree you have vibrant green, red, yellow, and oranges - on winding hilly roads. Add to this the company of 4 great friends. Unfortunately no pictures of the drive - just wouldn't be safe, seeing how I was driving. Its just as good though, because a picture never does things that beautiful true justice.

Here are some pictures of our fall adventure:

The girls.

We're apples!

Picking apples

Climbing trees.

Eating all the free apples we want!

Then at home I made dough...

Cut the apples I picked...

and made a seriously DELICIOUS apple pie.
(topped with some gruyère cheese shavings. yummmm)

Next stop: Pumpkin patch and pumpkin carving?

Enjoy life - especially the simple things - as much as humanly possible.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall + Mud

It's decided - fall is my favorite season.

I feel like I just work, work, work... but there are some hours of escape that have been quite delightful. Things I've enjoyed so far this fall...
An afternoon spent in the park. I absolutely cannot wait for the leaves to start changing colors.

Mud Run!
My friend Erin, her sister, and I did a 5k in the Bronx with Merrell's Down and Dirty Mud Run. It was so much fun! There were military obstacles spread out around the run and it ended with a huge mud pit. I loved it! Next year, we're thinking of doing the 10k!

It's moments like these that help me smile through the looooong days.