Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Fun: 1st Edition

I love summertime.
There is a carefree, happy quality that just hangs in the air.  It seems to bring out this energy and excitement - I'm not sure why, but its amazing.

C and I (and friends) have a lot of fun summer plans!  Swimming laps and reading Harry Potter poolside (British accents only), lakes and parks, BBQ's, events around town, etc... the list goes on and on!

Our mini-road trip on Route 66 was really the grand reopening (post coming soon), but this past weekend kept it going strong.

New Computer!

This has absolutely nothing to do with summer... but it is very exciting!  My old computer recently broke and after lots of research, I bought an HP Ultrabook Touch Screen!  She's fancy, she's fun, she's whippy and witty.  She's Jada.  I'm learning about all the features and new software - its quite fun.

Self Defense
Also not so much a summer activity, but new and interesting nonetheless.  My friend Sarah was recently inspired to learn some self defense techniques and Carolyn and I accompanied her to a free trial class.  The ACWA class far exceeded my expectations! And it was a lot of fun.  Our class was focused on parking lot safety... basically what to do if you're attacked while going to your car.  We learned a lot of helpful hints like how to carry your keys, how to get in your car when there is a suspicious vehicle nearby, etc.  And we also learned some easy and doable close combat skills - I now know how to avoid your hold, break your arm, smash your ribs and run away.   We all came away from the class feeling really empowered.  Learning self defense is really valuable... I want to learn more and I'd be happy to pass along the information!

Drive-in Movies
For our new thing of the week, on Saturday night, C, Janie, Derek and I went to the Chief Drive-In Movies in Chickasha, OK.  Not my favorite drive-in location, but still good fun! 
I have always loved the drive-in.  Its this wholesome activity that offers a glimpse into a simpler time.  You get to enjoy the summer nighttime, the stars in the sky, and a double feature for $7.  What beats that?  
We saw Man of Steal (sexy) and The Internship (funny). 
And as usual, the best part is the people you're with. 

Callie!!
Jess and I had lunch and sno cones with Callie!!  It was so good to see her and catch up on life.  The beautiful thing about solid friendships is that you can go months without seeing each other and have it feel like no more than a few days have passed.  I wish we could have spent so much more time together, but it was such a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. I'm so grateful for the 8 years of friendship we have had, and endless years to come. 

1 comment:

  1. what fun adventures! i have never heard about that comp before (not surprising) but it sounds fun!!!

    ReplyDelete