Monday, February 11, 2013

women in the woods

A few weeks ago, I became friends with a woman on a hike with the Backwoods Norman Hiking Club.
On Sunday, I joined her and a group of women on a training hike for an upcoming 3-day backpacking trip in the Ouachita Mountains in late March.
As we were introducing ourselves, somebody said that I looked like I knew what I was doing/had done this before.  It was such a simple comment, but the boost it gave me was tremendous.  In reality, I am very new to the world of backpacking, so the fact that I appear to know what I'm doing gives me confidence.

There is something powerful about being in a group of women.  We are all pretty diverse in our life experiences and interests - I really enjoyed getting to know them throughout the hike.  I decided to go on the 3-day trip with them in March and it was really uplifting how welcoming they all were, inviting me to join them on that adventure. 
 My outdoor adventures have already begun to connect me to people and experiences unforeseen... I can't wait to see what more the future holds.


2 comments:

  1. that sounds wonderful! im so glad you have been able to find a group of great people to hike with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat Laura!!! I have always loved/adored your sense of adventure :)

    ReplyDelete