Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Backwoods Norman Hiking Club

On Saturday I went on my first hike with the Backwoods Norman Hiking Club.  They go on a hike once a month, and this was the first time I was free to join them!

I love winter and seasonal weather, but on Saturday I welcomed the sun inspired, 60 degree, t-shirt spring teaser.  Barely even breezy, you couldn't have asked for better hiking weather.  

I really enjoyed hiking with a big group of others, all of which I had never previously met... but there was a lot of wait time involved, which I wasn't so keen on.  Too many pauses and breaks for my liking.  Lots of different personalities... from the nice older lady kicking it getting some exercise outdoors, to the annoying overenthusiastic backpacker obsessed with his gear.  

The hike was lead by a professional wilderness photographer and I enjoyed hearing about his work and his experience outdoors.  Additionally, instead of going on a standard trail, he lead us on a "game trail" - meaning, we followed the tracks of elk.  This felt so much more authentic and really added to the experience.

I connected well with a woman on the hike and we hope to do it again.  We carpooled home and it was nice to meet somebody new - making friends is always invigorating isn't it?

Outdoor fun makes me so excited for the upcoming adventures in my life... which begin in 93 days!! 
But more on that later...

8 comments:

  1. must be nice to make friends! hahaha i don't understand, if you both drove there, how did you carpool home?

    and ya i can see getting annoyed with too many breaks, since everyone is at a different spot in their physicality you can't just go off and leave them

    how old was the trail man!? you should put the moves on him

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the trail man, sounds like your kinda lova. :) And I think I would kill 'obsessed with his gear' guy. I can't wait to hear all about your upcoming adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why is brad always so creepy! i'm glad you made some new friends :) and i'm excited about the adventure too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds super fun!!!! where was the hike? did gear guy really need a lot of gear for this hike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha kirsten - the hike was in the witchitas - and no... by no means. haha all you needed was a snack and some water... but he brought his entire backpack because "he doesn't hike without it"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha gear guy cracks me up!! I also have the same question as Brad. How did you get there? Or how did she get there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I carpooled with a different group on the way out there.

    ReplyDelete