Thursday, April 14, 2011

favorites...

I already told you I'm becoming like Kirsten. I just found my favorite coffee shop in Brooklyn, thanks to my friend Emily. We met up to work on some grad work together, and lo and behold...

The Tea Lounge
It has it all:
- Tons of couches and chill seating
- Great food/drinks/etc - coffee/tea/wine/snack/meal - they've got it all!
- Lots of plugs for your computers
- Music (live and otherwise)
- Overall fun, chill feel

I love it - perfect for work, meet ups, or reading!

This is also very representative of how I'm currently feeling about my time in NYC. My first year could be easily summed up in one word: transition. I was transitioning into adult-hood, into the north-east, into teaching, into a new life, etc. I felt like the whole year I was dangling just above the ground just begging my feet to land solidly. Then, the beginning of the second year was full of so much unhappiness at work that it bled into my life in general. It was like my feet had finally landed, but they accidentally stepped on a nail. And now - finally - I feel like I am truly starting my life in NYC - truly feeling at home - truly feeling comfortable. And yet, in 19 weeks or less I'm 95% sure I'll be leaving. Part of me feels like I'm cutting it short. Part of me feels happy to have found this feeling and to enjoy it for the next few weeks. Part of me is glad to be leaving before I really establish this life and become attached... because then it only gets harder to leave. All that considered, at least I know I'll have a great time going out strong.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the imagery of you finally being able to touch down onto the earth only to be stabbed in the foot with a nail!
    Damn! That's good!

    ReplyDelete