Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ireland!

A few months ago, Mike Olson, my grandpa passed away - I'll always remember him as a loving, kind man who enjoyed life in simple ways. After he passed, I inherited some money and took this trip in his memory.

Ireland was amazing! Two main reasons:

1. The people
- Megan! It was so great to see a little bit of Megan's life! I really miss her a lot and it was great to get to experience the beautiful life she's living over there!
- Kristi and Kat: two of Megan's friends who I got to hang out with - I love meeting new people and these girls were tons of fun to make the trip with!
- Mark and Ben: two friends who are from Dublin who I haven't seen since we studied together in France. It was amazing how despite how little time we spent together over there and how much time had passed between how much we connected right away. :) These guys are seriously two of the best out there, and I was so happy to get to see them again!
- The Irish: a country full of incredibly friendly, "no worries" people. I was consistently impressed with the Irish.

2. The landscape:
- Truly a gorgeous country. Rolling hills, furry green grass, beautiful cliffs, etc. Driving around was great - especially coming from this "concrete jungle". :)

Highlights of Ireland

Cork, Ireland - I loved getting to see Megan's life! Cork was a lovely city - great craic. :)

We rented a car and drove all over the country! Here is a beautiful rainbow that appeared after a very typical bit of rain! haha If you look hard enough, there's a pot of gold... ;)

A great view of the shore from Old Head.

Megan and I at the Cliffs of Moher.

Kat and I went to Blarney Castle. We kissed the Blarney Stone and now have the gift of eloquence!

I spent the last two days in Dublin. The city kind of surprised me - I expected it to be bigger and more like New York for some reason. It was actually pretty small - easy to walk around and see in a few days.

Enjoyed a pint of Guinness at the Storehouse. :)

Went out to Temple Bar to grab some drinks with Mark/Ben. We ended up having too much fun to call it quits and I grabbed my stuff from the hostel and we caught the last train out to Marks. Good times held by all.

Gorgeous country. Wonderful people.
Can't stop smiling :)

5 comments:

  1. hahaha YAY i had so much fun with you!! i'm glad you love ireland because i do too! aaaand i think its funny that you thought dublin was small...we think it's huge hahaha LYMI

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - i have a date today with mike 2 that i met at reardens when you were here hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how Megan said "we think it's huge" like she is actually used to small towns! What a freak!
    Sounds like a wonderful trip and I hope that your Grandpa Olson was looking down at all the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok so i just had to comment now again. i just got back from dublin with molly and it was the best trip to dublin out of the 3 i've had! we walked around everywhere and saw some really cool stuff - i'll blog about it but i really want to comment and say that you're right! it's actually MUCH smaller than i thought it was! lymi

    ReplyDelete