Sunday, November 4, 2012

naturally happy

On Saturday Sally and I took a trip to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, OK.
We saw some wildlife, went on 3 hikes, and had a grand ol' time. 
 "Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam..."
 

Sally had a wonderful time!  If you know Sally, you know she is terrified of just about everything, but her happiness and pure exhaustion made her forget all her fears!   
 I was reminded and inspired by the effect dogs have on people.  Without fail, when I'm out with Sally, she brings a smile to people's face.  I think its the happy-go-lucky innocence and unyielding love... it sounds silly to say, but it would be nice if we could all be a little more like dogs. 
 She was a really nice companion to have along the trip... and I learned how out of shape she is! She slept the whole way home. 

The scenery was beautiful... not really comparable to other parts of the country but I was happy to appreciate a different part of Oklahoma.  After being in NYC, I feel like I have a new appreciation for openness. 
 The fall foliage was so wonderful.  I feel like every year there is one day where I suddenly realize all the color that is around me... it's one of my favorite days of the year.  Everything seems to pop and stand out in a unique way, calling extra attention nature's beauty.


As I was walking, I got to thinking... like ya do.  Every person I passed was enjoying themselves, their company, and their day.  Every person offered some type of pleasant communication.  Every person.  Our natural surroundings had created a simple happiness for us.  It made me think about two different dining situations.  Situation 1: fancy, expensive restaurant with delicious food.  Situation 2: a simple picnic on a beautiful day.  Both experiences provide joy.  But I would argue that situation 1 brings us a satisfaction that we have learned to find joy in whereas situation 2 brings a more pure kind of joy.  As a society, I feel we undervalue the simple, pure forms of joy that are just given to us... that we in no way need to earn or buy.  


Get out there and live in the pure joy.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect!! Love all the pure joy in these beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally looks so happy! You're so great and I love it out there! That is where Nick took me for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete