Friday, July 23, 2010

1 : 12 : 4,006

1 year. 12 books. 4,006 pages.

In my book of goals for my life, one was to read 12 leisure books in one year. Check!
Now this may not seem like a big accomplishment, but in the past I would be really impressed/surprised if I had read more than 2 leisure books in a year... so this was a big deal for me. I've always enjoyed reading... but now I have found my love for it! Now it is a part of my everyday life (thank you subway and lack of television) and I would hate to lose that.


1. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
by David Sedaris

David Sedaris has a way of taking every day life and highlighting all the little pleasantries, even where you don't expect them. This series of short anecdotes made me laugh when I needed to laugh the most.

2. The Lost Continent
by Bill Bryson

Bill Bryson's account of his travels across small town America is simple and hilarious. After moving to the big city, it was refreshing to read about our tiny towns, so rich in character.

3. The Year of Magical Thinking
by Joan Didion

After reading books that made me laugh, it was time for a book to make me cry. Joan Didion, a well respected author, shares with us her process of recovery during the year following the death of her husband. Though very technical at times, this book gave me a new insight to sickness, death, grief, love, and hope.
"Life changes in the instant. The ordinary instant."


4. Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger

A classic high school read, but I'm delighted I chose to read it again. I loved following Holden through this interesting time of transition and self realization.

5. Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

It is a powerful thing when literature captures you and brings you to another place and time - this book did exactly that. Set in medieval times, Follett takes us across countries, spanning two generations, telling a story of love, war, and most importantly, passion - an intense passion for fulfilling a life long goal of building a beautiful cathedral. I will forever look at cathedrals with a new fondness.

6. A Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley

Yet again returning to the high school classic, A Brave New World was a refreshing re-read. An intriguing story about the expectations of society and the few who defy them.

7. Neither Here Nor There
by Bill Bryson

I decided to return to Bryson for another trip - this time, traveling across Europe. Unlike the trips to London, Paris, Rome... Bryson took me to places I hadn't heard of, and once again found many amusing moments in the simple things of these foreign places.

8. To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee

Yes, another delightful re-read. Such a beautiful story about justice, childhood, curiosity, and personal secrets.

9. First They Killed My Father
by Loung Ung

Loung Ung writes her personal story of surviving the civil war in Cambodia as she struggles through loss, starvation, and separation. At times, a depressing read as it reminds us of the terrible things humans have done to each other; at the same time a beautiful story of strength, hope, and family.

10. The Mole People
by Jennifer Toth

Toth takes us underground to the interesting world of the Mole People - communities to the hundreds that are living underneath the subways. A fascinating story about people who escape society only to create one in the dark tunnels of abandoned railways.

11. Brooklyn
by Colm Toibin

A story about a young Irish girl who moves to Brooklyn to pursue education, employment, and love. This book did not fulfill my expectations... I was not drawn in until the last chapter of the book. Overall, a rather boring story about a rather boring girl.

12. Letters to a Young Teacher
by Jonathan Kozol

My year of reading 12 books happened to coincide with my first year of teaching. What better way to end both than reading a book of letters written to a first year teacher in inner-city Boston. This book was very appropriate to read at this point in my life as I think about the purpose of education, and my personal purpose as a young, developing teacher.

This year has developed a love for reading that I never thought I could have.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."
- Mark Twain

2 comments:

  1. so neat! i love hearing about how all these books affected your life (except for #11). thanks for the inspiration, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am doing this too! i just made my list :)

    ReplyDelete