Friday, July 10, 2009

week one!

I've just finished week one of teaching and finally have some free time to blog! I wish I had some pictures to add to this blog, but something to look forward to in future blogs!

I love teaching, and I'm learning a lot! It's amazing how much goes into being the most effective teacher possible, especially when you're faced with greater challenges. Its also funny how even though I've only spent half a day for four days with the nine students who regularly show up - I feel like I've known them for weeks, at least. You get so invested and so connected to the outcomes of your students, and you can't help but love them. And no matter how tired or frustrated I may be, it doesn't matter when I'm with them. Being a teacher is pretty awesome.

My favorite quotes from this week:
"Ms. Olson, can I apologize for what I did on Wednesday? I'm sorry I got mad at you for making me that book... I know you just want me to be a better reader."
She was also the student who made sure to point out that she was wearing a baseball t-shirt to match the baseball theme of our classroom. (so cute!)

There are some definite challenges that need to be worked through, and I wish I had more than just a month with them... but I hope that in that month they can become better prepared to succeed next year and after that. I'm excited for the fall when I'll have a whole year to help move kids forward.

My adviser, group members, and friends at TFA are amazing. I love going to them for ideas, support, having fun - the whole experience is really great. I feel very lucky to be a part of this organization, and to be able to join this movement with such amazing people!

Time is flyyyyyying by... mostly because we're always busy! Take a look at my typical daily schedule:
5:00 - shower
5:45 - breakfast/lunch pick up (social time with friends)
6:30 - bus (listen to music while prepping mentally for the day... and drinking coffee! My favorite part of the ride is when we pass over a Brooklyn cemetary and behind it, you can see the whole skyline over the dawn-colored sky. Its beautiful :)
7:30 - prep time at school
8:30-11:00 - teach
11:00-12:30 - sessions (professional development)
12:30-1:00 - lunch break... debrief on day
1:00-4:15 - sessions (professional development and group/individual work time)
4:30 - bus
5:00-6:00 - gather thoughts, check in with friends about day, lesson planning
6:00-6:30 - dinner (social time with friends!... but the food is terrrrible!)
6:30-11:00 combination of lesson planning, making posters, meeting with groups, attending sessions, and a random variety of other things that make it a constant go, go, go.
sleep and repeat.

I don't think I've ever worked so constantly before really... at least not on like one 'subject'. Its good though - I love it, and I don't tire of it.

I'm lucky to be where I am. :)

and last weekend I was super lucky because I got to spend an awesome weekend with Callie and her crazy/awesome family!!!! It was really nice to have a taste of home and to be able to spend that time with her! I can't wait for her to visit me... and I guess Terry and Megan too hahaha. (which reminds me that I'm excited Megan and Molly decided to move here!)

Look how cute we all are in our matching July 4th tie die!!!! I love Callie and fam!

And happy 4th of July!!!! (best holiday ever.)


so this weekend I'm going to my first Broadway show! hopefully a little apt hunting, and lots of lesson planning, preparing etc. Oh and going out and celebrating/relaxing of course! (and btw, is it clear that I absolutely love NY?)

Next weekend is TRICIA's WEDDING!! I'm so excited!!!!!

much love from NY!

4 comments:

  1. omg i think i would die if i had that daily schedule! but i think it would work well for you since you love schedules/it also seems to be. i think you should take a picture of that beautiful scene that you love so much! i also love that picture of you and the sparkler! it seems very intense! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so busy! i am glad you love it!!! and i love that picture of you and callie's fam with the 4th of july tie dye!!! i think it is funny that you are the ony one with a different hair color from all of them haha. LOVE YOU and i can't wait to move to NY either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little girl your teaching seems so adorable! I love little kids cause they are so honest.
    LOVE YOU! I hope you are finding some Laura-time in that busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Your hair looks really long in that sparkler picture.

    ReplyDelete