Monday, May 6, 2013

Better Block OKC

On Saturday, C and I went to a street festival for ran by Better Block OKC.  Better Block is an organization that takes an overlooked or forgotten block of the city, fixes it up, and has a block party to showcase some pretty powerful potential.  It goes without saying that I love communities.  When people in a community come together, joining forces with skill and passion, they improve their surroundings and make their home a better place to be.  There is so much power in a community and I'm so happy to see OKC embracing that.  This time, they focused on the Farmer's Market (and surrounding areas). 

It was a cold and dreary day... in May I know. :/ But, we still had a great time! 

Highlights:
1. There were SO MANY nice people.  Mostly local shop owners and local artists - people humble in their talents, and full of good spirits. 
2. The Swab Squad was there... but they ran out of swabs by the time we arrived.  But I encourage everybody to get swabbed and join the donor list!
3. They had made several street improvements and had little explanations to accompany them.  Fun fact: tree-lined streets make cars appear to be more narrow, causing cars to drive slower, reducing noise and making a safer environment for pedestrians! (and it just looks good.)  
4. They had little games and a play area set up - adorable.
5. Food trucks came out - C and I shared a crepe.  yummmmmm.
6. We got lots of fun finds from local vendors.  Including local produce, a cool wine thing, kangaroo jerky & maple bacon jerky, free kites, dog biscuits, etc.  Buy local!

Since it was dreary, I didn't take as many photos as I would have normally, but here are a few:
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. looks so fun! I want to live in a place with a community feel. I felt that more in Norman/okc than I do here.
    Can't wait to see you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun!!! i love how okc is always improving the city and making it a wonderful place! it definitely has a large part of my heart!

    ReplyDelete