Monday, March 11, 2013

Queen of Sheba

My friend Sarah has told me about an Ethiopian restaurant in the city called Queen of Sheba.  If you watch the league, I hope you too can only think of Queen of Shiva.  
Excellent selling point: you eat with your hands.
I thought that sounded like a great new thing for last week!

We had a good size group - Sarah, Misty, Chris, C, T, Jess, and me! I love love love dining in big groups.  It brings such a festive element to the meal. 
I was very excited to have T in town. :)
 And C was very excited for our new thing of the week!
 I got the variety plate - why try one when you can try many? 
The crepe/pancake part is called injera - its super spongy. You tear off a piece and scoop up some food.  A bit messy, but fun and different. Every now and then its nice to ban utensils.    T started a bit of a game where she tossed some injera on your plate and wherever it landed, thats what you ate. haha Even more fun!
 I enjoyed the food, but its not the type of flavor/texture I would want regularly.

I was reading about Ethiopian food on the restaurant website and came across this bit of information: 
"Dining in Ethiopia is characterized by the ritual of breaking injera and eating from the same plate, signifying the bonds of loyalty and friendship.  The quintessence of those bonds are often demonstrated in the form of gursha-that is, the placing of food in the mount of another diner from one's own hand."
When in Rome...

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun dinner! At Easter we always have Ethiopian food at church since there's an Ethiopian congregation that uses our church for their own services until they've raised enough money to build their own. They make the food on Easter as a thank you and I alway look so forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw so much fun! i love that bread stuff that you eat with! so good!

    ReplyDelete