Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Juice Cleanse

After a very busy September/early October of fun and traveling, I decided to kick off my return to healthy habits with a juice cleanse!  I have been intrigued by the idea of doing a cleanse for a while, and there was no better time to try!

I researched the web and found some recipes that sounded the easiest and yummiest... and at home recipes are WAY cheaper than cleanses you can buy. 

Breakfast:
1  beet
2 red apples
1 large carrot
It has a beautiful red-orange color and the combo of flavors is actually quite tasty! 

Lunch, Dinner: The Green Machine
A few handfuls of kale
A few handfuls of spinach
1 green apple
1 kiwi
1 banana*



*Blend banana in a blender with other juiced ingredients.  Technically this is a juice cheat, but it adds a LOT of substance to a very light diet. 
This tasted... somewhere between nothing and earthy. haha

Dessert!
1/3 pineapple
1 red apple
1 cucumber
A yummy way to end the night!

The juice cleanse also allowed for coffee and herbal teas (no milk or sugar added). 

So... how do you feel?
For lack of a better word, I feel empty... in a good way.  
The past three days were a good exercise in self control, discipline, understanding hunger, and changing my relationship with food.
I have also gained a new found appreciation for solid foods... so much that I dreamed I ate grapes last night... such an odd thing. 

Overall, glad I tried it and will probably use juicing sparingly in my future food choices. 

3 comments:

  1. i don't think i could ever do a juice cleanse! maybe have some juice with my chewable meal, but probably not more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah "this tasted somewhere between nothing and earthy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I really loved the earth and nothing quote!

    ReplyDelete