Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yoga

Yoga to the People - NY, NY

I have started going to yoga once a week with my friend Christie.

Things I love about yoga:
1. The scene (see above) I feel it is slightly rare in NYC that you can go into a room (especially a crowded one) with such a calming presence. Towards the end of the session, the windows fog up from the sweat and breathing of the collective people, the lights turn to a soft dim, and the music fills the air.

2. Streeeeeeeetch. I don't think yoga is really much of an exercise, but it is a powerful way to stretch your body. At the end of the session, my lower half feels grounded, my top half uplifted, and overall, my muscles relaxed.

3. Spirituality and breathing. I enjoy the spiritual emphasis of yoga - releasing tensions and replacing them with calmness. To spend an hour enjoying breathing, and seeing the power it has on your body and mind.

4. Christie. I knew I liked Christie when I first met her, but as our friendship has developed, I grow to like her more and more. Her friendship is the type that goes beyond the small talk - I feel like I am getting to truly know her, her vulnerabilities, her views on life, her goals, etc.

5. Self. When you are encouraged to be yourself (in every sense of the word), I think you are inherently more likely to enjoy the experience. People who love you for who you are will be the ones who mean the most to you. Yoga (at least the yoga I have experienced) celebrates the 'self' and encourages you to embrace it.

2 comments:

  1. I love yoga, but I've never been to a class...I've never really felt the need to experience it with a bunch of other people. Maybe I'll give a class a try!! My most favorite part is the stretching...nothing else stretches me like yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ about the exercise part of your yoga...very sore today

    ReplyDelete