Monday, June 22, 2009

New York, New York!

Hello from New York!! :)

So most people only brought enough stuff to move here for the summer and are going back home or having things shipped for the rest... but I couldn't really afford that (and by that I mean not at all) so I brought everything I am going to own basically in two suitcases, one duffle bag, and a backpack.

My last day was an emotional festival haha. Apparently I JUST then realized that I wouldn't get to hang out with everybody anymore and I was going to live so far away and 99% of my life as I had known it for a long time was about to change a lot. I mean, I always knew that, but I hadn't let myself emotionally deal with it... until Saturday haha. I was all upset thinking the only thing in my life that was consistent anymore was clothing... and I could only take like half of that! haha And then my phone was messed up and then my computer broke! But all in all, it was just a silly emotional day that I needed to get out of my system.

So I make it to NYC and I'm at Laguardia airport... and I'm on my way to get a taxi and the only big doors I see are for handicap... so I say - I'm able bodied... I guess I'll have to use these other doors - the only other type of doors I see are those rotation doors... this is a lovely animation of what happenedThat is me - stuck in the revolving doors with my bags. haha I could not move forward. I could not move backward. I was literally stuck in the doors. One employee was sitting in eye shot of me and just watched me for... a while haha. Then his friend came by and they BOTH had to come help me out. I don't even know how it happened! haha. So RIGHT AFTER, the next thing I see is a REGULAR DOOR!!!! hahah Funny story. I laughed.

So yesterday and today has just been a lot of initial meet and greet, general information sessions and the rest of the week will be pretty similar - next week is when we get working reeeally hard. But so far I've met a lot of really nice people and its really fun to kind of feel like this college freshman again - out meeting new people everyday. I've only been here for 24 hours, but it feels like so much longer haha.

I am SO EXCITED to start working in the classroom and start making a difference!
I am SO EXCITED to be living in New York and having so many new experiences!

I miss my old life already... but I'm also loving my new one!

loveyoumeanit. missyoumeanit.

4 comments:

  1. HAHHAHAHAHAH;HAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! i was seriously dying! like dying laughing outload while reading the explanation of the doors! your picture is hilarious too! it is still difficult for me to understand exactly how it happened though. im guessing....too many bags? haha im glad youre enjoying meeting new people! i cant wait to hear about everything! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so excited for your new life chapter, laura! i would never doubt that you would start making friends immediately. :) i'm excited to hear more new york experiences! and i want your address!! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you're having fun! I pretty much had no doubt that you would love every moment though :) hahaha and sorry you got stuck in the revovling doors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Laura and I know that you are making friends instantly!!
    I hope your new life is so good that you are never sad and look back on your old life with good memories!

    ReplyDelete