Thursday, April 4, 2013

ceramics class

Jessica and I recently took a ceramics class at the Norman Firehouse Center.  I loved having a set time every week that I got to spend with Jessica - even better that it was spent trying something new and creative!  The class was extremely relaxed - a teacher was there to help with questions, but it was mostly on your own.  There were about 10 others in our class, ranging in skill level across the spectrum.  I really enjoyed getting to know some of them through our occasional chats.

Ceramics is way harder than it looks... don't gripe about paying high prices for hand crafted goods!  I felt like I was finally getting the hang of it just as the class was wrapping up, but I am happy with my little creations. 

One of my classmates positively said that no matter how questionable the piece you make is, its better than the lump of dirt it began as.  

These are two... wine cups?  Really heavy shot glasses?

A candle holder? Candy cup?
I made two bowls!  Perfect for ice cream, yogurt, etc. 
This one swirled neatly in the middle.
And three coffee cups!  They are kind of small for me though... but I don't mind refills.
They are by no means perfect... but they're fun because I made them!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a point in my life that I wanted to be a professional ceramics artisan. Even though I've never touched a potter's wheel and I'm nearly phobic of drying clay/mud on my skin, this really made me want to make that past dream a reality. Looks fun! Maybe I should find a ceramics class...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is drunk, Laura. Every time I post a comment, it looks like it posts twice! Then I delete a single comment and deletes both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I love it. And you should definitely find a class!!

      Delete
    2. i think its drunk too. i see everything twice and sometimes it wont let me see any of them!

      Delete
  4. how fun! i have always wanted to try this. i especially love the mugs! i think they will look perfect at your new home while sitting on a porch or patio in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks like so much fun! i'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete